Thursday 23 August 2018

Being Miss Nobody


Published: 1st June 2017

Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd

ISBN: 978-1474927277

Age range: 10 +

Rosalind has selective mutism and can only speak in front of her parents, her little brother (who has cancer) and her neighbour. After starting high school where the bullying is relentless, Roz sets up a blog under the guise of Miss Nobody to help everyone fight back the tide of bullies but then the bullying gets twisted even further.

There was so much I loved about this book. First of all, it's another gripping book about a young person with mental health issues. So many people expect children to just be happy, they are 'too young to be depressed' etc, the old cliche. I like that there is no obvious reason for Roz's SM, it just is as always has been but with the right interventions and support, it can be overcome is the general message and it's true. It's very true to life as well, the guilt because her brother has 'real concerns' i.e. Cancer, and the humiliation but being unable to do anything about it. The writing is really representative of an 11 year old child and the way they think and the use of speech bubbles and clouds of Roz's thoughts are really effective at getting the point across.

I think Winter writes about the cancer brilliantly as Seb is a very poorly boy but alsoobsessed with poo. The humour lightens the mood in many of the scenes with Seb and he is his sister's biggest champion. I think Roz's support at home is brilliant and I wish all kids had parents like hers! The relationships for Roz in this book are so healthy and nurturing, even with Aunt Marie, who has never heard Roz speak.

The high school scenes were awful but true. Kids are just so cruel and we are becoming ever more aware of the consequences of bullying. Cyber bullying is particularly prevalent nowadays so the subject is just awesome. Kids need to be reading things like this and reflecting on it, a novel like this can really get through to them. It was a brilliant representation of how a noble goal (the blog) can become twisted as more pages pop up from the bullies using the same name and how some kids don't know where to draw the line. I won't tell you what happens but I don't at any point feel sorry for Maisy. Roz is a nicer person than me though and does the right thing! She really learns from her mistakes and grows in the way you would want an 11 year old to grow. Her attitudes change and she is a brilliant person.

My other favourite part of this book is a character called Rajit. His book week ideas are superb and he really made me laugh! I loved Ailsa too, she's the kind of friend we all wanted as a child.
So overall, I think this book is really relevant. Sometimes we say too much, sometimes not enough but it definitely helps to consider how our actions make people feel. I for one cannot wait to read Winter's next novel!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. And I've just realised I forgot to add it on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete